Almeria REALTORS Spain - Estate Agents, Mojacar, Andalucia

 All Properties 
 Property Type 
 Wish List 

 Featured Properties 


Search Realtors
by Ref Code:



Real Decreto 235/2013 - Certificado de Eficiencia Energética (CEE)

Energy Performance Certificates (EPC)

Questions & Answers:


What is an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)?

Energy Performance Certificates (EPC), also known as an Energy Efficiency Certificate (EEC) or as they are properly called in Spanish, Certificado de Eficiencia Energética (CEE), are documents which will show how energy efficient your home is displayed as a rating from A to G. Much like the stickers you see on things such as fridge freezers, washing machines or air conditioning units, the energy Performance certificate in Spain gives the property a standard energy and carbon emission Performance grade from ‘A’ to ‘G’, where ‘A’ is the most efficient and ‘G’ is the least efficient.

Who Needs an Energy Performance Certificate in Spain?

After 1st June 2013 every domestic property for sale or long term rent needs to have an Energy Performance Certificate in Spain. This does not apply to properties that are currently rented out on a long term basis. These only require an Energy Performance Certificate when a new tenancy is agreed.

Are there any exceptions?

If you have a long term tenant in place you do not need an EPC in Spain. If Your property was built after October 2007/8 you may find that you already have a Spanish EPC. To check this look on your plans to find the architect and contact them. Likewise if you only rent your property out on a short term basis such as holiday rentals you may not need an EPC in Spain. The Real Decreto states the following exception: Buildings or housing units in buildings used or intended to be used for either less than four months a year or for a limited time a year and with expected energy consumption of less than 25% of which would be of use throughout the year. So if a property (that has no certificate) has been rented for 4 months, it cannot be used again the same year.

Will I be able to rent or sell my house without an EPC in Spain?

No after 1st June 2013 you will be required by law to present your Energy Performance Certificate in Spain when your property is for sale or long term rent. When you sell your house the Notary will need the original EPC and when you rent your house in Spain the tenant will have to be given a copy of your Energy Performance Certificate in Spain.

When will this come into effect?

The law was formalized on the 5th April 2013 and will take effect on the 01 June 2013. You will be expected to comply as soon as possible after this date. This applies to properties currently offered for sale or new rentals and for properties new to the market. Whether your property is for sale or rent you will have to have a Spanish Energy Performance Certificate in place before your property can be advertised. This does not apply to current long term rentals. If you already have a long term tenant in your property then you do not need the EPC in Spain until you have a new tenancy.

Who can issue the Energy certificate in Spain?

Only certified and registered assessors are able to issue the Energy Performance Certificate in Spain. This includes architects, technical architects and some engineers. Our architect is Member of Madrid Architects Association (COAM) College Number 15158.

How can I get an EPC for my property?

You will need to contact a registered Architect/Assessor who will be able to assist you in getting your Energy Performance Certificate in Spain. We have registered a registered Architect and his team of engineers that are able to issue the EPC in Spain – please contact us for more information (+34) 950 092 094, or visit:

How much does an EPC cost in Spain?

We believe our prices are currently the best on the market. If you find a company who beats our prices then let us know so we can try to at least match them. The price does not depend on the size of build but a fixed price. Payment is due ON THE VISIT from the Architect before the EPC can be issued and registered. You will only need to show him your NIE/DNI and IBI receipt / property Referencia Catastral on the visit.

Who has to pay for the energy certificate?

The owner of the property will have to pay for the Energy Certificate here in Spain.

What if I get a low rating on my EPC?

Along with your EPC in Spain, you will get a report giving advice about how to improve your properties energy rating. The report will recommend cost effective measures which could be undertaken to improve the energy rating of the property. It will also contain information about the rating that could be achieved if all the recommendations were implemented.

Why have Energy Performance Certificates been introduced?

The EPC has its roots in the Kyoto Protocol which was a worldwide initiative started in 1997 to address the issue of Greenhouse gases. Since then the European Union have formulated the European Directive for the Energy Performance of Buildings, which applies to all member states with a clearly defined timetable of the measures we must introduce. An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) is a certificate which demonstrates the energy rating of a building. It forms part of the 'Energy Performance of Buildings Directive' (EPBD).

How is the rating on my EPC in Spain worked out?

A Registered energy architect/engineer will visit your property and take measurements and recordings from things such as your air conditioning, your hot water system, type of windows fitted, type of insulation, type of construction etc. The readings taken will then be entered online into one of the Governments approved programmes which will generate the rating for your property giving it’s energy Performance and environmental impact. The programmes used are the same for all properties so a potential buyer or tenant will be able see the projected energy costs for each property viewed. Your Energy Performance Certificate in Spain will be registered to the Catastro reference for your property.

Do I need an EPC if I only rent my property out for holiday lets?

Yes in general, you do still need an EPC in Spain even if you only rent your property out for holiday lets, although there are exceptions. Please see above, “Are there any exceptions?”

What if I rent my property out through an agent?

Either you or your agent will need to get a Spanish EPC for your property for long term rentals or sales. An agent will not be legally allowed to offer your property for long term rent or sale without a certificate.

Can I advertise my property without an Energy Certificate?

NO - as from 1st June 2013 you will need an EPC in Spain to be able to advertise your property for sale or rent.

How Long Does The EPC Last For in Spain?

The Energy Performance Certificate in Spain lasts for 10 years.

What if I make changes to my property in Spain?

You can have your property re-assessed at any time during the period your EPC in Spain is in date.

What if I have an existing tenant

If you have an existing long term tenant you do not need an EPC in Spain. However when you issue a new tenancy agreement you need the EPC for the incoming tenant.

Can I get in Trouble If I do Not Get an EPC?

The government have said they will fine people that have a property for sale or rent that does not have an EPC. Fines of between 3,000€ and 600,000€ can be given to anybody who needs an EPC (CEE) who does not have one. This includes agents as well as private individuals.